One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A mutual fund that invests primarily in stocks that are expected to increase in capital value rather than yield high income.
- ‘The average growth fund tumbled 24.1% this year.’
- ‘But it wouldn't be hard for an adviser to justify, say, his firm's growth fund over a competitor's.’
- ‘Furthermore, you'd probably fare best in a small-company growth fund, which looks for companies whose earnings are expected to soar.’
- ‘The long-term performance of any growth fund is likely to be good.’
- ‘The growth fund gained 1.65% and the income fund lost 2.12% due to a jump in interest rates.’
- ‘You purge, say, your lousy large-cap growth fund and replace it with a better one.’
- ‘They have all been in a mad rush to beat their competitors in producing a new super growth fund for the new bull market.’
- ‘Similarly, you shouldn't expect a growth fund - which looks for stocks of rapidly growing companies - to post gains in a bear market.’
- ‘If we are indeed poised for an upturn, it would be sensible to consider investing in a growth fund.’
- ‘Not only is it this year's top-performing large-cap growth fund, up more than 17%, but what's even sweeter is that Uncle Sam won't get his mitts on those gains for some time.’
- ‘And neither investors nor advisers like discovering that their large-company growth fund has sunk 20% of its assets into something unexpected - like bonds.’
- ‘The growth fund is now in its fifth year and has proven the effectiveness of the hedge to preserve capital.’
- ‘It has outperformed the average global growth fund over both one and five years.’
- ‘But that's less than the 57% loss the average midcap growth fund posted.’
- ‘You might sell one growth fund at a loss, and immediately reinvest the proceeds in another better-performing growth fund.’
- ‘The growth fund uses primarily stocks which can be protected in down markets by use of 100% hedging with appropriate stock index options.’
- ‘If you choose a mutual fund decide on a growth fund.’
- ‘In the case of portfolio #1, year by year, the growth fund will grow faster than the income fund.’
- ‘And if you've owned a small-company growth fund the past five years, you've probably been shocked by just how much you can lose in one of these funds.’
- ‘Advisers say that if you are investing in a growth fund that pays minimal dividends, the income will almost always fall below this level.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.