One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A large or very large heavy-bodied fish of the sea bass family, with a big head and wide mouth, found in warm seas.
Family Serranidae: several genera, in particular Epinephelus and Mycteroperca. The Nassau grouper (E. striatus) is the most economically important fish of the Bahamas
- ‘It is another country - on the dive we see angelfish, tarpon, grouper and moray eels.’
- ‘Predators such as lizardfish, groupers, and snappers tend to range widely, and an element of surprise is often essential to their success.’
- ‘Large fish such as groupers and moray eels can often be found resting next to a colony of shrimps, which flit out and crawl over the fish's skin while cleaning it.’
- ‘While being scrutinised by a gargantuan grouper and innumerable smaller fish, I became aware of a more thrilling presence.’
- ‘Larger fish such as groupers or other sharks have been known to prey on whitetips.’
Early 17th century: from Portuguese garoupa, probably from a local term in South America.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.