Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An aircraft's speed relative to the ground.Compare with airspeed
- ‘The combines were operated in high-yielding corn using a wide combination of cylinder or rotor speeds, concave clearances, sieve settings, cleaning fan speeds and ground speeds.’
- ‘I calculated the butterfly's heading and airspeed using a wind-drift vector analysis with minor modifications for measured ground speed rather than measured airspeed.’
- ‘During take off, the computer will relay his ground speed, airspeed and height from the runway.’
- ‘By this time, the crew of the plane was aware that fuel consumption was greater than anticipated, and the average ground speed had been only 70 knots.’
- ‘In one slide, ground speeds at touchdown were evaluated.’
- ‘Select or measure ground speeds in miles per hour (mph).’
- ‘For ground vehicles, mines are dispensed 25 to 60 meters from the vehicle at ground speeds of 5 to 55 mph.’
- ‘Ground speed was on average only slightly faster than the mean air speed, and the scatter was considerably larger for ground speeds than for air speeds.’
- ‘In previous charts for this day I added ten mph to the ground speed to get the air speed for each of the pilots.’
- ‘Recommended ground speeds are usually between 4 and 6 miles per hour.’
- ‘As the ground speed increases, the belt speed increases proportionally.’
- ‘Mach is said to change when 1.0 Mach refers to different ground speeds.’
- ‘Once at altitude, power came back to 97 percent to stabilize a fuel flow of 130 gph with a ground speed of 350 knots and a cabin altitude of 13,000 feet.’
- ‘Every three seconds I have a loop giving my bearing and, in between, my ground speed and air speed.’
- ‘The speed column is the average ground speed (in miles per hour) gliding between thermals which should roughly correspond to the average air speed between thermals given the task.’
- ‘My average ground speed when gliding was 57 mph.’
- ‘I just kept the glider at less than 40 mph for the first six miles just to keep the needle at the best glide over the ground speed as I knew I was close to not making it.’
- ‘Jensen would fly the craft inverted into a strong headwind, resulting in a negative ground speed.’
- ‘The maximum ground speed while taxiing should be 35 mph but the Boeing 737 was travelling at 38 mph on the runway.’
- ‘However, they recently pointed out that previous models had ignored the fact that flapping feathered wings while running will considerably increase the ground speed before take off.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.