The horizontal beam or timber in a building that is secured to the foundation and is the base for the rest of the structure.
- ‘The inside groundsill has anchor bolts previously installed that permit an easy mounting of columns or posts on the inside groundsill.’
- ‘The cruck blades used in its construction spring directly from the groundsills and these support the roof timbers.’
- ‘In most cases, the damage included tilted roofs, broken groundsills, and broken walls and tile.’
- ‘When we were building with plain old stud walls, overloading the wood fibers of the groundsills never happened and it was a non-problem.’
- ‘For groundsills, we use laminated American hiba arborvitae wood highly resistant to rot and termites - a necessary considerations for future residents.’