Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of a sports team) share a home field with at least one other team.‘Plymouth Argyle rejected approaches by the Tigers to groundshare at Home Park’‘there are commercial advantages to groundsharing’
- ‘The Walsall boss has poured cold water on heavy speculation that Coventry could groundshare at the Banks's Stadium next season.’
- ‘The Conference would not allow the club to groundshare for longer than five seasons without having some definitive end in sight to their nomadic life.’
- ‘He said keeping Coventry City afloat while groundsharing 35 miles away was the "lesser of two evils" than potentially forcing its extinction.’
- ‘Mr Fisher will outline plans to return to the Coventry area after possibly three years of groundsharing outside the city.’
- ‘The Leyton Orient chairman has announced the club will stay at their current ground should they be unsuccessful in their bid to groundshare at the Olympic Stadium.’
- ‘It's getting that bad I can see us groundsharing in the future!’
- ‘Rumours are doing the rounds about the ground either being sold or that we are going to groundshare with Brentford or Fulham.’
- ‘The move towards groundsharing follows the collapse in talks between the club, the council, and the stadium owners.’
- ‘Coventry City's plan to groundshare with Northampton for three years has been approved by the Football League.’
- ‘Many fans have expressed anger across internet and social media over the plans to groundshare at Northampton Town.’
An arrangement whereby two or more sports teams share a home field.‘a possible groundshare between York City FC and York City Knights RLFC has not been ruled out by either club’
- ‘Leyton Orient's chairman has admitted a groundshare would be an ideal solution for the Olympic stadium.’
- ‘A groundshare, then, could be a threat to the economic viability of the club.’
- ‘Survival hopes were revived after a deal was struck by chairman Nigel Hughes to continue the groundshare next season with Cheltenham Town.’
- ‘The feud resulted in the club agreeing a three-year groundshare with Northampton.’
- ‘It means Coventry City FC Limited faces liquidation and a planned groundshare with Northampton Town will go ahead this season.’
- ‘A poll of Inverness supporters is being conducted to determine whether they would favour a groundshare with Aberdeen next season.’
- ‘The MP has previously tabled several Early Daily Motions in the House of Commons questioning Coventry's groundshare with Northampton Town.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.