One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A play in which a batter is put out by hitting a ball on the ground to a fielder who throws it to or touches first base before the batter touches that base.
- ‘His mission - bring in a run - was accomplished with a simple groundout to second base.’
- ‘In fact, the final two outs of Greene's no-hit performance were a groundout to third base by Larry Walker and a hard smash on the ground back to Greene by Tim Wallach.’
- ‘His main pitch was a nasty forkball, and I remember hitting a groundout to second base.’
- ‘In the top of the ninth, he doubled and then moved up to third on an infield groundout.’
- ‘A base hit should get the runner to third base, and a groundout usually advances him to second.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.