One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A burrowing squirrel that is typically highly social, found chiefly in North America and northern Eurasia, where it usually hibernates in winter.Also called gopher
- ‘Some ermine appropriate the burrows of mice or ground squirrels and adapt them for their own use.’
- ‘There are three basic body forms in squirrels: tree squirrels, ground squirrels and flying squirrels.’
- ‘Chipmunks, ground squirrels, and bears, which, like the marmots, pass the winter in burrows or dens at high altitudes, may also suffer from the change in synchronicity between snow and temperature cues in spring.’
- ‘Dimples and scratches in the sand also reveal the presence of numerous small mammals, including kangaroo rats, ground squirrels, pocket mice, and wood rats.’
- ‘The use of torpor by the Mohave ground squirrel contrasts sharply with the behavior of the antelope ground squirrel in the same desert environment.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.