One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
treated as singular or plural The ground-based personnel and equipment that monitor and direct the flight and landing of aircraft or spacecraft.
- ‘Example products include aviation and ground control headsets, wireless communications devices, tactical communications equipment and emergency response dispatch systems.’
- ‘Congested airports are putting tremendous strain on existing methods of air and ground control.’
- ‘The heater is not really needed when the arm is not in use, but ground control has not been able to activate a switch designed to override the thermostat, he explained.’
- ‘At 10: 29 CEST this morning, the ground control centre at the University in Aalborg received the first signals from the satellite.’
- ‘His job is to sit beside the pilot at the ground control station and operate sensors for the Predator that can deliver video of the enemy below.’
- ‘I was working ground control on a very cold winter morning when one of the local charter pilots was cranking up a Navajo.’
- ‘Without enough power to lift the spacecraft to its intended orbit, the shuttle pilots carried out an abort-to-orbit procedure and were able to successfully conduct their mission after some hasty replanning by NASA ground control teams.’
- ‘Genevieve switches on her two-way radio and, like an air-traffic controller, tells ground control who to send up, who's coming down.’
- ‘The ground control station is operated by a crew of three: Mission Controller, Air Vehicle Controller and Image Analyst.’
- ‘From ground control stations far-removed from the front lines, they can maneuver the Predator just like any other aircraft.’
- ‘It will be commanded only once the ground control team have re-acquired signal from the spacecraft, and made sure with a sequence of tests that the second boom is correctly locked into position and the spacecraft is well under control.’
- ‘When the spacecraft Deep Space 1 flew past the asteroid Braille in July 1999, it was too far away from earth for ground control to direct all its movements.’
- ‘The commander is the captain of the space shuttle and makes all the critical decisions on behalf of the crew and in coordination with the ground control team.’
- ‘While talking to ground control, concentrate on your radio proficiency, making certain that your relaxed mic work doesn't require a controller to correct you or prompt you to read back runway destinations, etc.’
- ‘A pilot can obtain clearance on a screen in the cockpit before calling ground control to get taxi instructions for takeoff.’
- ‘To give credence to the claim, communication transcripts between the flight and ground control were released showing that the crew had no indication or warning of impending trouble.’
- ‘Again there were some small problems but ground control as always was very helpful and we successfully finished the experiment.’
- ‘Galileo will consist of 30 satellites in medium Earth orbit supported by a global network of ground control and monitoring stations.’
- ‘Cosmonauts may tend to withdraw and speak in a monotone, giving brusque answers to questions from each other and ground control.’
- ‘One ground control station can control one air vehicle or two air vehicles in relay.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.