Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[treated as singular or plural] The ground-based personnel and equipment that monitor and direct the flight and landing of aircraft or spacecraft.
- ‘Genevieve switches on her two-way radio and, like an air-traffic controller, tells ground control who to send up, who's coming down.’
- ‘Congested airports are putting tremendous strain on existing methods of air and ground control.’
- ‘Again there were some small problems but ground control as always was very helpful and we successfully finished the experiment.’
- ‘The heater is not really needed when the arm is not in use, but ground control has not been able to activate a switch designed to override the thermostat, he explained.’
- ‘Cosmonauts may tend to withdraw and speak in a monotone, giving brusque answers to questions from each other and ground control.’
- ‘When the spacecraft Deep Space 1 flew past the asteroid Braille in July 1999, it was too far away from earth for ground control to direct all its movements.’
- ‘One ground control station can control one air vehicle or two air vehicles in relay.’
- ‘Without enough power to lift the spacecraft to its intended orbit, the shuttle pilots carried out an abort-to-orbit procedure and were able to successfully conduct their mission after some hasty replanning by NASA ground control teams.’
- ‘To give credence to the claim, communication transcripts between the flight and ground control were released showing that the crew had no indication or warning of impending trouble.’
- ‘A pilot can obtain clearance on a screen in the cockpit before calling ground control to get taxi instructions for takeoff.’
- ‘It will be commanded only once the ground control team have re-acquired signal from the spacecraft, and made sure with a sequence of tests that the second boom is correctly locked into position and the spacecraft is well under control.’
- ‘Example products include aviation and ground control headsets, wireless communications devices, tactical communications equipment and emergency response dispatch systems.’
- ‘The ground control station is operated by a crew of three: Mission Controller, Air Vehicle Controller and Image Analyst.’
- ‘His job is to sit beside the pilot at the ground control station and operate sensors for the Predator that can deliver video of the enemy below.’
- ‘From ground control stations far-removed from the front lines, they can maneuver the Predator just like any other aircraft.’
- ‘I was working ground control on a very cold winter morning when one of the local charter pilots was cranking up a Navajo.’
- ‘The commander is the captain of the space shuttle and makes all the critical decisions on behalf of the crew and in coordination with the ground control team.’
- ‘At 10: 29 CEST this morning, the ground control centre at the University in Aalborg received the first signals from the satellite.’
- ‘While talking to ground control, concentrate on your radio proficiency, making certain that your relaxed mic work doesn't require a controller to correct you or prompt you to read back runway destinations, etc.’
- ‘Galileo will consist of 30 satellites in medium Earth orbit supported by a global network of ground control and monitoring stations.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.