Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Directed or operating from the ground to an aircraft in flight.‘a ground-to-air missile’
- ‘There are no heavy machine guns, no anti-aircraft guns, no ground-to-air missiles, not even rocket-propelled grenades.’
- ‘He was then given command of the RAF's first Bloodhound ground-to-air missile squadron.’
- ‘Third, even if you have a rough idea of where the plane might be, it is still far from "easy prey for convential ground-to-air missiles".’
- ‘A Board of Inquiry found that hostile ground-to-air fire had caused an explosion in the right-hand wing tank which tore part of the wing away, causing the crash.’
- ‘Once exposed, the stealth aircraft would be easy prey for convential ground-to-air missiles.’
- ‘There is a perceived threat of ground-to-air capability by the enemy.’
- ‘Nine RAF personnel and one soldier died when their Hercules transport plane was hit by ground-to-air fire, causing an explosion in one of its fuel tanks.’
- ‘Those flares are designed in case it's a ground-to-air missile that it takes the missiles off their targets.’
- ‘Air threats will be countered by ground-to-air missiles and by Canadian fighter jet patrols.’
- ‘Ground-to-air small arms fire pierced one of the craft's tanks, which exploded, blowing off a wing.’
- ‘"There is no indication that we have seen that the enemy is employing any form of advanced ground-to-air missile," he said.’
- ‘The statement, the authenticity of which could not be verified, said the plane was hit "head on" with a ground-to-air SAM - 7 missile.’
- ‘The Royal Artillery (the drop-shorts to us infanteers) has been using a ground-to-air missile called Javelin for donkeys years.’
- ‘The force will have to confront groups that are very well equipped, notably with ground-to-air missiles and armoured vehicles.’
- ‘All the aircraft will have "passive receiving" sensors that will pick up signals if a ground-to-air missile like the SAM or Stinger or even an air-to-air missile (from another aircraft) is fired at it.’
- ‘The ground-to-air missiles, according to Jane's Defence, are "obsolescent" with "more propaganda than practical value".’
- ‘The enemy will use asymmetric means to counter American aerospace power, including concealment among the population, constant movement, and portable ground-to-air weapons.’
- ‘The ability to destroy or suppress the plethora of ground-to-air threats constitutes another strength.’
- ‘He activated ground-to-air missile systems to deter inspection flights.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.