One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A mineral of the garnet group, consisting essentially of calcium aluminum silicate.
- ‘Both almandine and grossular increase as spessartine decreases.’
- ‘Garnet has a general grain size of about 3 mm and its composition is almandine, pyrope, spessartine and grossular.’
- ‘Along the contact zone the limestones were recrystallized into a cloudy white, massive calcite containing grossular, epidote, magnetite, quartz, and tremolite.’
- ‘It is not known what type of garnet this is, but grossular would be a good guess.’
- ‘The mineral of interest is the hessonite variety of grossular.’
Early 19th century: from modern Latin grossularia ‘gooseberry’. The yellow-green variety is sometimes known as gooseberry garnet.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.