Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A mineral of the garnet group, consisting essentially of calcium aluminum silicate.
- ‘It is not known what type of garnet this is, but grossular would be a good guess.’
- ‘Along the contact zone the limestones were recrystallized into a cloudy white, massive calcite containing grossular, epidote, magnetite, quartz, and tremolite.’
- ‘Both almandine and grossular increase as spessartine decreases.’
- ‘The mineral of interest is the hessonite variety of grossular.’
- ‘Garnet has a general grain size of about 3 mm and its composition is almandine, pyrope, spessartine and grossular.’
Early 19th century: from modern Latin grossularia gooseberry The yellow-green variety is sometimes known as gooseberry garnet.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.