One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A heavy ribbed fabric, typically of silk or rayon.
- ‘In contrast round toed flats will be adorned with pompoms, rosebud trims, grosgrain bows and Tyrolean ribbons.’
- ‘The bow stays tied better if you choose a textural ribbon, such as chenille, rickrack, or grosgrain.’
- ‘Each bag has specific detailing like zip pockets, brass feet, side snaps, and grosgrain lining.’
- ‘You could not speak of sucking the hats' bowls to your face, or of licking the grosgrain of their sweat-darkened ribbons: there was no way to explain why you even wanted this.’
- ‘Meanwhile, a beige high-collared swingcoat was trimmed with pink grosgrain ribbon, a favourite technique of his.’
- ‘Another closure option is to attach grosgrain ribbon to the ends.’
- ‘Precious fabrics and decorations, brocades, velvet and grosgrain insets and trimming, contrasting with shiny velvet and mohair applications, are in tune with the new aesthetic trend seen in the spring/summer 2003 collection.’
- ‘The addition of a simple grosgrain waistband or row of tiny buttons to a simple jersey skirt embodies the mood.’
- ‘Thus did the trousers come to be made of the same cloth and color as the coat, uniform-style, for example, and facing lapels to be made with rich silk grosgrain, among other subtle changes.’
- ‘I had rescued them from the bin where she'd thrown them more than once: war decorations with important grosgrain ribbons in moire reds and blues dangling from a clasp, in a leather box from Spink of Piccadilly, like a soldier's.’
- ‘I lay slouched back in my ripped leather chair, legs crossed on the table, eyes shut, and my dune hat (without grosgrain band) slipped slightly below the brow.’
- ‘Glue the grosgrain ribbon hinges onto the lid back.’
- ‘While his suits were well structured, nothing beats his black double breasted peak lapel tuxedo suit with grosgrain taping.’
- ‘Choose hearty grosgrain ribbons in various widths and colors.’
- ‘The big flamboyant trim there is a crumpled bow formed out of hideously expensive and lavish striped grosgrain ribbon, accented with chocolate/pink spotted ribbon, coral pink velvet ribbon and a little carved button.’
- ‘Fuse another web piece to the grosgrain ribbon.’
- ‘Ring the neck of a bottle with a wisp of grosgrain ribbon.’
- ‘Finish front with bias tape, 1-1/2 inch wide grosgrain or fabric strip sewn to edges and turned into inside and stitched down creating a facing.’
- ‘It scores with some super cute thongs that have patterned footbeds plus grosgrain ribbon wrapped around the thong and topped with pretty details like bows or even roses (in selected styles).’
- ‘When she first sees Maureen, she observes her to be a ‘sheer wonder, layered in ivory silk, her thick black hair upswept and tied with a long black grosgrain ribbon.’’
Mid 19th century: French, ‘coarse grain’ (see also grogram).
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.