A mill for grinding grain.
- ‘Salt farms and gristmills dotted the coastline, their windmills tapping the sea breezes for energy.’
- ‘Soon the gristmills were no longer needed except in occasional places where they were used to grind livestock feed.’
- ‘His fields and his gristmill were laid to waste.’
- ‘In 1746 a gristmill was established on the site, which survived in use until 1866, when it was moved and continued to grind for many more years.’
- ‘The demand for grain was increasing and the gristmills were unable to keep up with the production.’