One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A mill for grinding grain.
- ‘His fields and his gristmill were laid to waste.’
- ‘Soon the gristmills were no longer needed except in occasional places where they were used to grind livestock feed.’
- ‘In 1746 a gristmill was established on the site, which survived in use until 1866, when it was moved and continued to grind for many more years.’
- ‘Salt farms and gristmills dotted the coastline, their windmills tapping the sea breezes for energy.’
- ‘The demand for grain was increasing and the gristmills were unable to keep up with the production.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.