One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Consisting of or full of gristle.‘gristly bits of beef’
stringy, sinewy, fibrous, ropyView synonyms
- ‘Specimens consumed in Orkney have been described as gristly, and those taken from certain beds have too strong a flavour of iodine or seaweed.’
- ‘Both women tore into gristly steaks using sheer will more than the sharpness of their cutlery.’
- ‘English food isn't all about gristly roast beef, boiled potatoes, instant gravy and overcooked veg.’
- ‘My lamb kebab with vegetables and potatoes was chewy and gristly and contained offal which some people may not like.’
- ‘All of a sudden there is a yelp from the table in the far corner and a woman spits out two small gristly bits of meat.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.