One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A member of a people of mixed European and Khoikhoi origin, living mainly in the Cape Province of South Africa.
- ‘A group of Griqua sold their lands in the Orange River Valley to Boers and migrated across the Drakensberg into land depopulated by the Zulus.’
- ‘He was a remarkable leader whose vision has guided and united the Griqua people for 100 years.’
- ‘The Griqua were to see little of the wealth that was to be generated from the enormous diamond mines.’
- ‘Three histories and a novel lie open in front of me, all having to do with the Griqua people of South Africa.’
- ‘Diamonds were found in 1867-8, in an area occupied by Griquas, Koranmas, and some Afrikaners.’
Relating to the Griqua.
The name in Nama.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.