One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A member of a class of traveling poets, musicians, and storytellers who maintain a tradition of oral history in parts of West Africa.
- ‘Neal also recalls that the role of the blues singer is not unlike that of the griot in traditional African societies.’
- ‘Our poets and storytellers are the modern-day griots who speak the history and carry on the culture with dazzling tongue.’
- ‘Few people in the west seemed to know much about the many functions of the griot, and I thought this may be a way of deepening the understanding of African literature.’
- ‘Singing, dancing, and praise-songs, performed by griots (both male and female), are central to the celebration of births, marriages, and holidays.’
- ‘In addition to the storytelling and music provided by the griots, the Malinke like to listen to the radio.’
French, earlier guiriot, perhaps from Portuguese criado.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.