One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A wheel used for cutting, grinding, or finishing metal or other objects, and typically made of abrasive particles bonded together.
- ‘The nail head should be wrapped with masking tape so it is easier to grip and the point should be sharpened on a grinding wheel.’
- ‘I told him what I was after, and he got to work on his grinding wheel.’
- ‘If the grinding wheel does become coated with metal, dress the wheel prior to use.’
- ‘A small grinding wheel attached to an electric hand drill can do the same job as a bench grinder.’
- ‘A stone from the original mill, dated 1633, has been mounted on a grinding wheel and sits amid a colourful array of flowers in the village centre.’
grinding wheel/ˈɡrīndiNG (h)wēl/
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.