One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person who is mean-spirited and unfriendly.
- ‘Only a grinch would cavil about the way Norton treats religion.’
- ‘Who says that our current government in Washington, D.C. is filled with hard-hearted grinches?’
- ‘I'm not the biggest fan of annual gift day, but i try not to be a grinch about it because a lot of heartfelt feeling goes into it for a lot of people, regardless of how misguided I might think it is.’
- ‘I don't mean to sound like a Grinch, but that's just the way it is.’
- ‘If you want to avoid receiving gifts all together, I'm afraid there's no polite way to do that without seeming the Grinch.’
- ‘I am not a grinch contrary to what some people will tell you.’
- ‘Why have people suddenly turned into heartless, horrible grinches?’
- ‘I don't know - maybe it's me; perhaps I am just a grinch - but there is something terribly un-funny about the fun car concept.’
- ‘By the time we loaded the kids in the van, I'd slaved for hours and resembled the neighborhood grinch.’
- ‘Ironically, even the Grinches among us are a targeted market during the holidays.’
- ‘The anti-religion Grinches are out in full force this Christmas season.’
- ‘I do believe my inner grinch is settling in about a week early this year.’
- ‘We all know it's Christmas, the scrooges and grinches all know it's Christmas and the cash registers at the mall all know it's Christmas.’
- ‘Call me a grinch, but I also thought Floyd's crawfish could have been bigger and fatter.’
- ‘Not to be a Grinch, but there is one historical trend that could bring the holiday blues to all but one candidate.’
- ‘Well, I may have had a lot of Grinches to contend with this year, but that doesn't mean I've lost my belief in Santa Claus!’
- ‘Call me a grinch, but this movie is little more than a thinly veiled cash grab by Disney marketing execs.’
- ‘Ah you can see I am bursting with the joys of Christmas. Bah humbug. I am the grinch (who wishes he could steal Christmas).’
- ‘And, of course, there's a grinch lurking in North Palm Beach, too.’
1970s: the name of a character in the children's story How the Grinch Stole Christmas (1957) by Dr Seuss.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.