Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Metal bars or wires arranged to form a grille.
grid, latticework, fretwork, open framework, openwork, trellis, trelliswork, network, mesh, web, webbing, netting, net, tracery, interlacing, reticulation, reticulum, grate, grating, grille, grillwork, criss-cross, matrixView synonyms
- ‘Many houses have grillwork over the windows and balconies on the upper floors.’
- ‘Mr Guy was allowed into the building on the weekend before the demolition for a last look and to take some of the remaining lighting equipment and the art deco grillwork.’
- ‘Throughout the nation, structures built of concrete bricks, corrugated iron roofs, and iron grillwork have replaced other forms of housing.’
- ‘The Parisian theme continues into the casino area, where 90 table games are situated beneath attractive verdigris grillwork.’
- ‘Behind the thick cast-iron grillwork you'll find an ordinary metal mailbox.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.