One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Metal bars or wires arranged to form a grille.
grid, latticework, fretwork, open framework, openwork, trellis, trelliswork, network, mesh, web, webbing, netting, net, tracery, interlacing, reticulation, reticulum, grate, grating, grille, criss-cross, matrixView synonyms
- ‘The Parisian theme continues into the casino area, where 90 table games are situated beneath attractive verdigris grillwork.’
- ‘Mr Guy was allowed into the building on the weekend before the demolition for a last look and to take some of the remaining lighting equipment and the art deco grillwork.’
- ‘Many houses have grillwork over the windows and balconies on the upper floors.’
- ‘Throughout the nation, structures built of concrete bricks, corrugated iron roofs, and iron grillwork have replaced other forms of housing.’
- ‘Behind the thick cast-iron grillwork you'll find an ordinary metal mailbox.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.