One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Metal bars or wires arranged to form a grille.
grid, latticework, fretwork, open framework, openwork, trellis, trelliswork, network, mesh, web, webbing, netting, net, tracery, interlacing, reticulation, reticulum, grate, grating, grille, criss-cross, matrixView synonyms
- ‘Behind the thick cast-iron grillwork you'll find an ordinary metal mailbox.’
- ‘Throughout the nation, structures built of concrete bricks, corrugated iron roofs, and iron grillwork have replaced other forms of housing.’
- ‘Many houses have grillwork over the windows and balconies on the upper floors.’
- ‘The Parisian theme continues into the casino area, where 90 table games are situated beneath attractive verdigris grillwork.’
- ‘Mr Guy was allowed into the building on the weekend before the demolition for a last look and to take some of the remaining lighting equipment and the art deco grillwork.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.