One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A small eel.
2A grasshopper or cricket.
- ‘Humped-winged grigs are found in coniferous forests; C. strepitans also occurs in high altitude sagebrush.’
- ‘You can listen to songs of grigs and find out more about them at the Web site above.’
(as) merry (or lively) as a grig
dialect Full of fun; extravagantly lively.
cheerful, happy, cheery, good-humoured, jovial, merry, sunny, bright, joyful, light-hearted, in high spirits, in good spirits, sparkling, bubbly, exuberant, effervescent, ebullient, breezy, airy, lively, vivacious, full of life, sprightly, jauntyView synonyms
- ‘Everyone said Annabelle had been merry as a grig before the man she loved married elsewhere.’
- ‘I think it was a cricket, but when I heard it, I was merry as a grig!’
- ‘They were more than fairly high, merry as grigs, and prepared to go on all night.’
Middle English (in the sense ‘dwarf’): of unknown origin.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.