Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A flat cake, such as a pancake or a johnnycake, that is cooked on a griddle.
- ‘Sour milk is useful in the preparation of various dishes, such as hot breads and griddle cakes.’
- ‘The following morning, after a breakfast of blueberry griddle cakes, I power through three miles on the Horse Slide Trail.’
- ‘On his menu you might find scallops with lemon verbena infused oil, brie flavored with burnet, potato and chive griddle cakes and peach cobbler sweetened with stevia.’
- ‘Among several breakfast specialties are lemony griddle cake, rum raisin French toast, Belgian waffles, eggs en cocotte, egg bennie and Catskill smoked salmon.’
- ‘The waiter brought them strawberries and plates of griddle cakes with maple syrup.’
- ‘Irish potato griddle cakes, made from both baked potato and raw, grated potato, are pan fried until crisp and golden.’
- ‘The most noted dish of Brittany, France are the thin griddle cakes called crepes.’
- ‘How do they get those warm golden griddle cakes to maintain the sweet taste of maple syrup?’
- ‘I use syrup on my biscuits, which makes them almost like a griddle cake.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.