One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A map reference indicating a location in terms of a series of vertical and horizontal grid lines identified by numbers or letters.
- ‘Greenpeace campaigners recently destroyed trial fields and the government has issued only a six-figure grid reference to identify the fields in which the trials were taking place.’
- ‘A grid reference is given to every postcode and when police issue an alert it will be possible to pinpoint the distribution area.’
- ‘Surveyors are asked to report any sightings of the ladybird, along with its location and, if possible, a grid reference or postcode.’
- ‘The mother's address on the child's birth certificate was postcoded and given a geographical grid reference.’
- ‘The operator can punch an OS grid reference straight into his/her computer terminal and pinpoint your location.’
grid reference/ɡrid ˈref(ə)rəns/
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.