One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The female of the black grouse.
- ‘For the coming year we are planning to release a new group of greyhens with chicks in July which we hope will improve their survival rate.’
- ‘Black grouse, which are about the size of a hen, lek year round, but it is during springtime that the activity intensifies and the greyhens congregate to seek a mate.’
- ‘The greyhen goes to a distance to make her nest, in order to conceal her eggs from the blackcock.’
- ‘To human eyes, she looks like a greyhen, which is a kind of arctic bird.’
- ‘All being well, after the curious courtship, the greyhens will start laying their eggs from the middle of next month.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.