Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A dressing or garnish made with chopped parsley, garlic, and grated lemon zest, served as an accompaniment to meat or fish.
- ‘Gremolata is a very simple thing to make, but a great condiment to stews and heavy meat dishes.’
- ‘Another hit was a trio of juicy grilled lamb chops, each with a different accompaniment: preserved lemon-caper gremolata sprinkled over one, a miso-roasted eggplant log with another and a smooth, creamy eggplant spread with the third.’
- ‘Our two very special stews - a peppery Italian beef stew and a savory Moroccan lamb tagine - stand on their own, but they're true stars when embellished with fresh gremolata or homemade harissa.’
- ‘A small haystack of gremolata (minced lemon zest, garlic and parsley) crowned the hearty dish.’
- ‘All the risottos were good enough, particularly the tutto mare (shrimp, scallops, crab) and the Milanese, made with saffron, parmesan, and a hunk of braised veal rib smothered in a lemony gremolata paste.’
- ‘Though Gorgonzola can quickly overwhelm the tastebuds, the gremolata - a garnish made of parsley, lemon peel and garlic - makes for a bright contrast in flavours.’
- ‘I would have liked a little more than the fleeting appearance of tasty, tangy gremolata that was confined to just one mouthful-sized area on my meat, too.’
- ‘So there will also be classics like osso bucco with gremolata and old favourites to which Singh has added some subtle, but interesting flavours.’
- ‘From the fish and meat entrees on the menu, pan-roasted fillet of halibut with basil mashed potatoes, wilted spinach and a crumb topping with gremolata...was lightly cooked and satisfying.’
- ‘Combine the gremolata ingredients and sprinkle over the stew just before serving.’
- ‘Simple finger foods include the indulgent Parmigiano-and truffle-dusted French fries with lemon gremolata; crispy salt and pepper calamari; and tempura asparagus sprinkled with curried coarse salt.’
- ‘I went for the main course of harissa lamb shank with gremolata because I adore that seductive Italian last-minute seasoning of flat parsley, lemon zest and garlic, but it seemed to have vanished.’
- ‘My seared-scallop-and-cauliflower combination seemed a little wan by comparison, although all the hipsters at our table enjoyed the monkfish, which was smothered with sections of artichoke, in a thick, lemony gremolata.’
- ‘The only thing it lacked was gremolata, the customary dusting of parsley, lemon zest and garlic.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.