One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A dressing or garnish made with chopped parsley, garlic, and grated lemon zest, served as an accompaniment to meat or fish.
- ‘So there will also be classics like osso bucco with gremolata and old favourites to which Singh has added some subtle, but interesting flavours.’
- ‘Combine the gremolata ingredients and sprinkle over the stew just before serving.’
- ‘Though Gorgonzola can quickly overwhelm the tastebuds, the gremolata - a garnish made of parsley, lemon peel and garlic - makes for a bright contrast in flavours.’
- ‘Simple finger foods include the indulgent Parmigiano-and truffle-dusted French fries with lemon gremolata; crispy salt and pepper calamari; and tempura asparagus sprinkled with curried coarse salt.’
- ‘Gremolata is a very simple thing to make, but a great condiment to stews and heavy meat dishes.’
- ‘All the risottos were good enough, particularly the tutto mare (shrimp, scallops, crab) and the Milanese, made with saffron, parmesan, and a hunk of braised veal rib smothered in a lemony gremolata paste.’
- ‘I went for the main course of harissa lamb shank with gremolata because I adore that seductive Italian last-minute seasoning of flat parsley, lemon zest and garlic, but it seemed to have vanished.’
- ‘A small haystack of gremolata (minced lemon zest, garlic and parsley) crowned the hearty dish.’
- ‘From the fish and meat entrees on the menu, pan-roasted fillet of halibut with basil mashed potatoes, wilted spinach and a crumb topping with gremolata...was lightly cooked and satisfying.’
- ‘Our two very special stews - a peppery Italian beef stew and a savory Moroccan lamb tagine - stand on their own, but they're true stars when embellished with fresh gremolata or homemade harissa.’
- ‘Another hit was a trio of juicy grilled lamb chops, each with a different accompaniment: preserved lemon-caper gremolata sprinkled over one, a miso-roasted eggplant log with another and a smooth, creamy eggplant spread with the third.’
- ‘My seared-scallop-and-cauliflower combination seemed a little wan by comparison, although all the hipsters at our table enjoyed the monkfish, which was smothered with sections of artichoke, in a thick, lemony gremolata.’
- ‘I would have liked a little more than the fleeting appearance of tasty, tangy gremolata that was confined to just one mouthful-sized area on my meat, too.’
- ‘The only thing it lacked was gremolata, the customary dusting of parsley, lemon zest and garlic.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.