Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A decorative card sent to convey good wishes on some occasion.
greetings card, postcard, christmas card, birthday card, good luck card, get well card, sympathy cardView synonyms
- ‘Each Christmas instead of sending out greetings cards to all its clients, it donates the funds to local good causes.’
- ‘The business which bears her name stocks and sells a range of hand-made greetings cards, hand-made glassware and scented hand-made candles and jewellery.’
- ‘The post office also sells a small selection of groceries as well as stationery and greetings cards.’
- ‘Statistics, for instance, tell American Greetings that women between the ages of 35 and 55 purchase 92% of all greetings cards.’
- ‘As the festive season approaches, the number of people sending electronic greetings cards will also rise rapidly.’
greeting card/ˈɡrēdiNG ˌkärd/
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.