One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A greenish igneous rock containing feldspar and hornblende.
- ‘There are many belts of greenstone (highly contorted, Precambrian volcanics and sediments) throughout the Canadian Shield.’
- ‘Some of the oldest rocks on earth have also been found here: the greenstone is estimated to be 3 000-million years old.’
- ‘The Zimbabwe craton consists of 23 greenstone belts surrounded by felsic gneisses and granites, with ages from 3.6 Ga to 2.6 Ga.’
- ‘The primary rocks of the Bradshaw Mountains are granites and greenstones (gneiss and schist).’
- ‘Greenwell discovered numerous antler picks scattered throughout the mine as well as the ground stone axe made of greenstone from Cornwall.’
- 1.1NZ A variety of nephrite.
- ‘This same dress code, however, allows Maori students to wear bone and greenstone necklaces as part of the school's ‘Treaty of Waitangi obligations’.’
- ‘After performing a waiata the students presented Potikitaua-Taraare with a greenstone necklace and other gifts.’
- ‘Trophies have been donated featuring greenstone and gold from the area.’
- ‘In early 1913 six Maori greenstone artefacts disappeared from a showcase in the Salisbury and South Wiltshire Museum.’
- ‘The earliest known history of the town was as a stopping place for parties of Maori who had come through the Haast Pass in search of greenstone.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.