One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A gas that contributes to the greenhouse effect by absorbing infrared radiation, e.g., carbon dioxide and chlorofluorocarbons.
- ‘The Kyoto Protocol sets limits for emissions of six greenhouse gases for the richer countries of the world which have ratified it.’
- ‘Although an excess of greenhouse gas results in global warming, naturally occurring greenhouse gases are beneficial in keeping our planet at a comfortable temperature.’
- ‘It is virtually certain that increasing atmospheric concentrations of carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases will cause global surface climate to be warmer.’
- ‘Higher concentrations of carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases in the atmosphere will lead to increased trapping of infrared radiation.’
- ‘Methane is also a greenhouse gas, meaning that its presence in the atmosphere affects the Earth's temperature and climate system.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.