One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An onion taken from the ground before the bulb has formed, typically eaten raw in salad; a scallion.British term spring onion
- ‘Scallions are a specific variety of onion, while green onions can be grown from any onion variety, including leeks.’
- ‘In a small bowl, whisk horseradish, sour cream, and green onions together.’
- ‘Who wouldn't want to eat what's local when that includes almost anything you can think of, from sugar snap peas, green onions and radishes to the first beans, beets and zucchini.’
- ‘Unlike their larger bulb cousins, green onions, scallions and leeks should be refrigerated.’
- ‘Serve with your favorite toppings such as sour cream, guacamole, cilantro and green onions.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.