One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘From the clifftop, I have watched otters and great northern divers fishing and porpoises passing by further out.’
- ‘I pointed out that the bird, which I identified as a common loon, was too far gone to be helped but that I'd be happy to take it for the museum's collection.’
- ‘The common loon is red-eyed, with distinctive black and white markings and a pointed dagger like beak that is perfect for its long, underwater fishing trips.’
- ‘For example, the wing loading of a highly maneuverable bird such as the chimney swift is ten times smaller than that of the aeronautically challenged common loon.’
- ‘Now common loons, one of five loon species, are helping scientists better understand the impact of environmental mercury contamination on waterbirds, fish, and other aquatic wildlife.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.