One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A large ape of a family closely related to humans, including the gorilla, orangutan, and chimpanzees, but excluding the gibbons; an anthropoid ape.
Family Pongidae, order Primates
- ‘The argument is at its most powerful when it comes to the great apes chimpanzees, gorillas and orang-utans.’
- ‘They are one of four kinds of great apes, along with chimpanzees, gorillas, and bonobos, and the only apes that come from Asia.’
- ‘It's been known for some time that great apes such as chimpanzees and gorillas engage in cultural behavior.’
- ‘Today it comprises humans, the gibbons, and the great apes (orangutan, chimpanzee, and gorilla).’
- ‘The study looked in detail at each of the four great ape species - chimpanzee, bonobo, gorilla, and orangutan - to assess the current, remaining, habitat deemed relatively undisturbed and thus able to support viable populations of apes.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.