One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A son of one's nephew or niece.
- ‘He was succeeded by his great-nephew Charles I.’
- ‘In the fall, Caesar makes preparations for a campaign in Parthia the next year and makes his will, appointing his great-nephew, Octavian, as his primary heir, allegedly adopting him as his son.’
- ‘In her last years Irene started nagging me to go with her to Florida, where our great-nephew George had - has - a vacation home.’
- ‘What information there is about her early life comes only indirectly through family letters and diaries in the possession of her great-nephew.’
- ‘The old lady started on her great-nephew's problem with acne.’
- ‘My nieces, nephew and great-nephews at early ages have in no way been harmed by knowing that I have shared my life with another man, and it has not been at all difficult for any of my siblings to explain that.’
- ‘But as his family and friends gathered in his room for a quiet celebration of his life after the service at Parc Gwyn Crematorium, his great-nephew Andrew suddenly noticed a black-covered exercise book on a shelf.’
- ‘She ran as quickly as she could to her room, overhearing Mrs. Wargicz telling her great-nephew, ‘Is Meg ill or what?’’
- ‘Early in life she became the second wife of Æthelred II Her first son, Edward, succeeded to the English throne in 1042: her great-nephew was William the Conqueror.’
- ‘The charity is close to the brothers' hearts who have watched their five-year-old great-nephew cope with the disease.’
- ‘However, he kept several treasured mementos from the expedition, which were inherited by his great-nephew.’
- ‘Dan has two nephews and I have four great-nephews.’
- ‘As his great-nephew has found, that tends to rank higher in the public interest.’
- ‘Some 2,000 years ago after Julius Caesar's murder, Octavian, his great-nephew and heir, gathered an army and marched on Rome.’
- ‘He died without issue, and the collection is now owned by his great-nephew.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.