One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Having a noble, generous, and courageous spirit.
generous, charitable, benevolent, beneficent, open-handed, big-hearted, munificent, bountiful, liberal, handsome, princely, altruistic, kind, kindly, philanthropic, chivalrous, nobleView synonyms
- ‘But still, there is so much more that is big and bold, imaginative and great-hearted.’
- ‘Pembrokeshire has lost a great champion and we have all lost a very warm, kind, great-hearted man.’
- ‘The Jesus portrayed in ‘the Passion’ is open and honest, great-hearted and human, strong and courageous.’
- ‘The dynastic significance of Cecrops was recognized already by Homer, who called the citizens of Athens ‘people of the great-hearted Erechtheus, whom once Athena daughter of Zeus raised, but the life-giving earth bore him.’’
- ‘For dusk has all but fallen on that great-hearted generation of Australians who fought here.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.