One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The mother of one's grandmother or grandfather.
- ‘She was a wonderful friend, mother, grandmother and great-grandmother and she will be greatly missed.’
- ‘Being raised by both his mother in Maryland and his great-grandmother in the rural backwaters of North Carolina has given him, he says, a sense of perspective.’
- ‘I know my great-grandmother on my mother's side was also a Canadian.’
- ‘My mother speaks of my great-grandmother as if she knew her, even though she died many years before her birth.’
- ‘They have robbed us of a mother, grandmother and great-grandmother.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.