One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The father of one's grandmother or grandfather.
- ‘When he discovered what Clara had done, her father - my great-grandfather - cut her off immediately.’
- ‘The self-regard of these populations, he was convinced, would condemn them to the same fate as their fathers, grandfathers and great-grandfathers.’
- ‘My father, my grandfather and great-grandfathers were musicians.’
- ‘It is a well-worn path, because his great-grandfather, his grandfather and his father were all policemen.’
- ‘His great-grandfather, grandfather, father, and older brother Ned were physicians.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.