One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A waxy substance used as makeup by actors.
- ‘He used to have a terrifying actor's nightmare in which the greasepaint slid off his face.’
- ‘Was there is any likelihood at all of her reconsidering the decision and donning the greasepaint again?’
- ‘Covered with greasepaint and standing motionless for an hour, two young people act as statuesque models to earn money.’
- ‘Is she game to don greasepaint to test her luck on the silver screen?’
- ‘Mike produced several sticks of green greasepaint and showed John how to apply the camouflage in diagonal stripes on his face.’
- ‘The smell of the crowd and the roar of the greasepaint is anathema to wanting to sit in a room alone and write.’
- ‘I was a child who, when taken to the circus, spent all her time trying to see past the greasepaint and illusion.’
- ‘I heard the roar of the crowd, I could smell the greasepaint, but alas, it was not to be, for me.’
- ‘Johnie remained in full clown make-up throughout, even as real tears threatened to smear his greasepaint grin.’
- ‘He also took to donning a white greasepaint visage, designed to mimic the pallor of 13 th-century plague victims.’
- ‘Won't somebody ask me what I'm doing with greasepaint dirt smudges on my nose and a balsa-wood pickaxe in my hands?’
- ‘It was at that point that I became addicted to the smell of the greasepaint, the roar of the crowd, lights, cameras, action; I realised that my destiny was to entertain my public on stage, screen and television.’
- ‘Twelve finalists plastered on the greasepaint and heaved on the star-studded attire that made for a wonderful night's entertainment.’
- ‘Groucho, who had taken to wearing a fake greasepaint moustache in vaudeville, refused to grow a real one for the cameras.’
- ‘But if the smell of greasepaint proves irresistible the stage is near at hand.’
- ‘If your career is on the way down, panto is a celebrity safety net, one last greasepaint refuge where you can still revel in audience adulation.’
- ‘John knows the ins and outs of the acting world, working as both an amateur and professional in the land of greasepaint and footlights.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.