One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Newly manufactured fabrics that have not been subjected to whitening processes.
- ‘So my first question is about sources for raw goods, gray goods they were called.’
- ‘A manufactured fiber in which the fiber forming substance is any long chain synthetic polymer composed of at least 85% by weight of acrylonitnie units., gray goods are used as well.’
- ‘Broadwoven plain weave poplin and broadcloth fabric (gray goods), chiefly spun polyester mixed with carded cotton’
- ‘With advanced production equipment, complete management system and strong technical force, our company can produce all kinds of gray goods for more than 1 million meters each month.’
- ‘Now, with 120 million yards of gray goods on its hands, U.S.C.C. has had to turn to U.S. textile mills for help.’
2Goods traded in a gray market.
- ‘The US Customs Service has adopted a new "gray goods" rule which provides protection to US trademark owners against the importation of gray goods.’
- ‘Authorized goods have a stronger effect on brand equity than gray goods.’
- ‘The volume of gray goods imported into the United States is substantial.’
- ‘Lower courts have excluded gray goods where differences might lead to consumer confusion or deception, but have permitted importation if there are few, if any, differences.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.