One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- another term for éminence grise
- ‘The grey eminence behind the Restoration was nevertheless a civilian politician, Antonio Cánovas del Castillo.’
- ‘It was a clear sign that even though he himself will not serve in this government, he remains the grey eminence behind it - perhaps even the puppet-master.’
- ‘Men like Rove are the gurus, gray eminences, cardinals and kingmakers to the modern-day queens, and wield tremendous power and influence behind the scenes.’
- ‘So it's entirely plausible that Martin was isolated out of the real, real loop by the grey eminences close to the prime minister.’
- ‘Over the past few days, I have conducted several interviews with some of the nation's grey eminences in politics, law and history.’
gray eminence/ɡrā ˈemənəns/
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.