One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A work shift that runs through the early morning hours, typically covering the period between midnight and 8 a.m.
- ‘But working the graveyard shift by himself provided plenty of time to read more than 20 operating manuals.’
- ‘He works a graveyard shift - one of two jobs so he can pay the rent - and has hardly slept in a week because of noise.’
- ‘With a shake of my head I leave the bathroom and head towards the reception desk, I've never been a fan of the graveyard shift and tonight is no different.’
- ‘To compensate, they give you the first Friday off, so that you have a 3-day weekend following the completion of the graveyard shift.’
- ‘I suppose it's not really nights; more a graveyard shift although I have still put in my 8 hours.’
- ‘Unlike the two men, who tended to be early risers, she often worked the graveyard shift.’
- ‘‘Bad dreams,’ Greg admitted, taking the offered cup, ‘After the end of the graveyard shift I'll sleep better.’’
- ‘For instance, the legislation does not state that children cannot work early morning shifts, during school hours, or the graveyard shift.’
- ‘Midnight to dawn is the time when ghosts, ghouls and all manifestations of the paranormal come into their own and one could be forgiven for thinking that sanity takes a break for the duration of the graveyard shift.’
- ‘They must have people doing the graveyard shift.’
- ‘And then last week I was back at work doing a graveyard shift, from 12: 30 am - 8am.’
- ‘You'll usually find him working 3pm to midnight, and sometimes during the graveyard shift.’
- ‘I went to college at San Francisco State and supported myself working the graveyard shift at a brewery, and did a little theater.’
- ‘I ended up in a paper mill, working the graveyard shift lifting heavy steel shafts.’
- ‘He could have died if I wasn't working the graveyard shift this morning.’
- ‘The reason I'm writing this at 4 in the morning is because I'm working a graveyard shift this week.’
- ‘I told the manager interviewing me that I was interested in the graveyard shift, in the hope that I would have time to look for a better job during the day.’
- ‘Since Tara is going to be alone at nights now that I'm working the graveyard shift, I thought it might be a good idea for her to learn some kind of self-defense.’
- ‘The graveyard shift requires a gentle soul to soothe the sleepless to sleep or keep them company until tagging with the Morning Report team.’
- ‘She probably would have been more cautious on the graveyard shift, but who expected such weirdness this early in the day?’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.