One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A burin or other engraving tool.
- ‘It is clear from illustrations in that report, however, that formal blade tools such as gravers and drills occur in that assemblage.’
- ‘Lines are cut into a metal plate using a tool called burin or graver.’
- ‘It's easy enough to draw a curved line with a pen or on an engraving plate with a graver.’
- ‘A blow struck at a specific weak point along the blade, that is, at a notch, would achieve a consistent break and a characteristic triangular end that could be subsequently retouched into a formal graver.’
- ‘Other tools, such as scrapers, gravers, drills, and notched flakes, accounted for only 4 percent of the formal artifacts.’
- 1.1archaic A person who engraves or carves.
- ‘Seals cut as works of art should excel in three aspects-- calligraphy, composition and the graver's handwork.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.