One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A dish with a light browned crust of breadcrumbs or melted cheese.
- ‘Sides include gratins and a salad that will be served family-style.’
- ‘Place half of this in a buttered gratin dish, then season generously with salt and pepper.’
- ‘A traditional gratin is cooked entirely in the oven, but I prefer to simmer the potatoes first in milk on the hob, then finish the dish in the oven.’
- ‘Also you don't have to turn out a gratin - it is served from the dish.’
- ‘It was flanked by a sublime gratin dauphinois with a cheesy, sabayon-like crust.’
- ‘Drain and place the cauliflower in the gratin dish.’
- ‘Pour the onion and tomato mixture over the eggs in the gratin dish and sprinkle the cheese evenly over the top.’
- ‘Then they were served a beefsteak as the main course, accompanied by a potato gratin with just a touch of garlic.’
- ‘The gratin potatoes were melt-in-the-mouth and only the courgettes were a little disappointing, lacking in flavour.’
- ‘For the main course, Grandma had saddle of local lamb, with tiny mushrooms and a ratatouille gratin on a bed of polenta.’
- ‘Slice the potatoes thickly, and put half of them in the base of a deep gratin dish.’
- ‘Well, here is one unusual but utterly delicious use for some of it as a gratin topping.’
- ‘The cod was a complete success, the gratin bringing this humble dish to life.’
- ‘So the meal is set and being plated and after the salad course the two guests in question were served their lovely gratin dishes filled with delicious and creamy macaroni and cheese.’
- ‘With any kind of gratin, he adds, the cheese should be scorched with a blow-torch to stop it sticking to the foil lid.’
- ‘You get a similarly hearty feel from a butternut risotto or a butternut take on a potato gratin.’
- ‘Lightly butter an ovenproof gratin dish and arrange the chicory halves cut-side down in a single layer.’
- ‘The father and daughter team successfully cooked a black bean hummus, a green salad, a cassoulet of sausages, and a raspberry gratin, all within 45 minutes.’
- ‘The second time, the chef humbles our table by offering to prepare a tasting menu, then bewitches us with a gratin of wonderfully tender green-lip mussels showered with tomato-fennel salsa.’
- ‘My partner and I had the Mediterranean salad and the mushroom gratin to start, for main the salmon fillet and fillet of beef.’
French, from gratter, earlier grater ‘to grate’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.