Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A dish with a light browned crust of breadcrumbs or melted cheese.
- ‘My partner and I had the Mediterranean salad and the mushroom gratin to start, for main the salmon fillet and fillet of beef.’
- ‘You get a similarly hearty feel from a butternut risotto or a butternut take on a potato gratin.’
- ‘Then they were served a beefsteak as the main course, accompanied by a potato gratin with just a touch of garlic.’
- ‘Also you don't have to turn out a gratin - it is served from the dish.’
- ‘Place half of this in a buttered gratin dish, then season generously with salt and pepper.’
- ‘Well, here is one unusual but utterly delicious use for some of it as a gratin topping.’
- ‘Pour the onion and tomato mixture over the eggs in the gratin dish and sprinkle the cheese evenly over the top.’
- ‘So the meal is set and being plated and after the salad course the two guests in question were served their lovely gratin dishes filled with delicious and creamy macaroni and cheese.’
- ‘Sides include gratins and a salad that will be served family-style.’
- ‘The cod was a complete success, the gratin bringing this humble dish to life.’
- ‘A traditional gratin is cooked entirely in the oven, but I prefer to simmer the potatoes first in milk on the hob, then finish the dish in the oven.’
- ‘For the main course, Grandma had saddle of local lamb, with tiny mushrooms and a ratatouille gratin on a bed of polenta.’
- ‘Slice the potatoes thickly, and put half of them in the base of a deep gratin dish.’
- ‘With any kind of gratin, he adds, the cheese should be scorched with a blow-torch to stop it sticking to the foil lid.’
- ‘The gratin potatoes were melt-in-the-mouth and only the courgettes were a little disappointing, lacking in flavour.’
- ‘Drain and place the cauliflower in the gratin dish.’
- ‘Lightly butter an ovenproof gratin dish and arrange the chicory halves cut-side down in a single layer.’
- ‘It was flanked by a sublime gratin dauphinois with a cheesy, sabayon-like crust.’
- ‘The second time, the chef humbles our table by offering to prepare a tasting menu, then bewitches us with a gratin of wonderfully tender green-lip mussels showered with tomato-fennel salsa.’
- ‘The father and daughter team successfully cooked a black bean hummus, a green salad, a cassoulet of sausages, and a raspberry gratin, all within 45 minutes.’
French, from gratter, earlier grater to grate.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.