One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A device having a surface covered with holes edged by slightly raised cutting edges, used for grating cheese and other foods.
- ‘English and Irish silver examples are less exotic but exhibit pleasing proportions that stem from good design and craftsmanship; they were sometimes combined with nutmeg graters, seals, and pipe tampers.’
- ‘You can also grate the crumbs by hand using a cheese grater.’
- ‘The common four-sided box graters have different-size holes on each side, but only the long, flat holes (the ones you use for cheese) will produce the right shreds for a crispy pancake.’
- ‘She said the drink is more interesting if there are whole cinnamon sticks and nutmeg with a grater on the bar.’
- ‘It's very simple: just use the side of a cheese grater or slicer.’
- ‘Zesters and box graters have small holes for this purpose, but a microplane grater makes the job easier.’
- ‘She was still frozen in place, her knuckles turning white from gripping the cheese grater so tightly.’
- ‘There's not one microplane grater in the bunch, though one is in Delia Smith's list of essentials available for sale.’
- ‘Break orange peel into small pieces, or finely grate with grater.’
- ‘She was now spreading sauce on the noodles, a block of cheese and a grater next to the pan.’
- ‘Almost all the nutmeg graters in the Green Collection were made in England or America between the late seventeenth and early twentieth centuries.’
- ‘Grate your garlic - I use a nifty little garlic grater, but just use whatever you have on hand.’
- ‘Wash and grate the zucchini at an angle on the large side of a cheese grater.’
- ‘Grate the zucchini using the large holes of a cheese grater.’
- ‘Scrape the gratings from the grater and the larger bits on top into a small bowl.’
- ‘It includes 14 tools, such as knives, spatulas, a grater, a can opener and a corkscrew.’
- ‘It is hardly possible for one to imagine a kitchen without a rolling pin and plank, a coconut grater or at least a churner.’
- ‘What if you took a bar of the soap, scraped off shavings with a cheese grater into a container, and added some water?’
- ‘Grate the bars of soap using the largest holes of a box style grater.’
- ‘To prevent a clumpy mess when shredding semisoft cheese with a box grater, spray grater with a nonstick cooking spray before you start.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.