Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A mainly carnivorous North American mouse with a stout body, gray or brownish fur, and a short white-tipped tail.
- ‘The remaining taxa are Blarina brevicauda (the northern short-tailed shrew) and Onychomys leucogaster (the northern grasshopper mouse).’
- ‘But another animal is often stirring: the grasshopper mouse.’
- ‘However, three safe exposures to crickets before the conditioning session significantly reduced the strength of the avoidance response in grasshopper mice, but it did not do so in hamsters.’
- ‘Despite their venomous sting scorpions are considered fine fare by many types of creatures, such as centipedes, tarantulas, insectivorous lizards, birds (especially owls), and mammals (including shrews, grasshopper mice, bats).’
- ‘The fox trots off to continue its hunt for a kangaroo rat, a grasshopper mouse, or, if nothing else, an insect.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.