Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A large Chinese freshwater fish, farmed for food in Southeast Asia and introduced elsewhere to control the growth of vegetation in waterways.
- ‘The Asian grass carp, a voracious vegetarian, has changed the face of some Texas waters by devouring native aquatic vegetation.’
- ‘Silver carp and tilapia fed on the phytoplankton; the grass carp, wuchang fish and common carp ate green fodder.’
- ‘As with all coarse fish, grass carp begin feeding upon invertebrates before moving on to a wider diet including soft plants.’
- ‘To help combat the weed, two grass carp have been introduced.’
- ‘Though still on experimental level, we are introducing fast growing grass carp, a weed-eating fish, into the lake.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.