One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A device with iron claws, attached to a rope and used for dragging or grasping.
- ‘The man in front was standing, brandishing a grappling hook over his head, preparing to hook to the stone wall.’
- ‘All he had to do now was to ‘borrow’ some rope and a grappling hook, and he would enter the palace.’
- ‘The planks and grappling irons were removed and The Relentless sailed away.’
- ‘Now, if she had a grappling hook, it would be a different story…’
- ‘Eagerly, he pulled out the climbing rope and the grappling hook.’
- ‘He took a rope with a grappling hook out of his pack.’
- ‘If she had a rope she could make a grappling hook or something.’
- ‘He had handed the flashlight to Fred who was now shining it in the direction of the grappling hook and rope.’
- ‘He used a home-made grappling hook and rope to scale the 30-foot wall.’
- ‘His thumb placed pressure on a specific button on the side of the object, launching a grappling hook into the air.’
- ‘One squad fired grappling hooks inside the cave complex, then pulled it back out the entrance, a technique used to detonate any booby traps.’
- ‘They threw a grappling hook over to Nikki's roof.’
- ‘I had a rope with a grappling hook, just in case I needed to escape over some tall walls if Cale decided to chase after me.’
- ‘Once there, they will assault the granite island with inflatables and grappling irons.’
- ‘They were bereft of actual grappling hooks and climbing tools.’
- ‘He took his sword and cut the rope of the grappling hook.’
- ‘Breaking off, Sean maneuvered his ship next to the freighter, and fired grappling hooks, pulling the freighter in to board.’
- ‘Facing forward again, Jeremy quickly grabbed a grappling hook attached to a rope that was tied to his pack.’
- ‘I was about to speak when a grappling hook shot up and hooked onto the rail.’
- ‘How they land is still a mystery, but evidently claws on their back legs act like grappling hooks to snag the trunk and hang on.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.