Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A device with iron claws, attached to a rope and used for dragging or grasping.→ crampon
- ‘He had handed the flashlight to Fred who was now shining it in the direction of the grappling hook and rope.’
- ‘The planks and grappling irons were removed and The Relentless sailed away.’
- ‘He took a rope with a grappling hook out of his pack.’
- ‘Facing forward again, Jeremy quickly grabbed a grappling hook attached to a rope that was tied to his pack.’
- ‘He used a home-made grappling hook and rope to scale the 30-foot wall.’
- ‘One squad fired grappling hooks inside the cave complex, then pulled it back out the entrance, a technique used to detonate any booby traps.’
- ‘Eagerly, he pulled out the climbing rope and the grappling hook.’
- ‘If she had a rope she could make a grappling hook or something.’
- ‘I had a rope with a grappling hook, just in case I needed to escape over some tall walls if Cale decided to chase after me.’
- ‘Now, if she had a grappling hook, it would be a different story…’
- ‘I was about to speak when a grappling hook shot up and hooked onto the rail.’
- ‘How they land is still a mystery, but evidently claws on their back legs act like grappling hooks to snag the trunk and hang on.’
- ‘He took his sword and cut the rope of the grappling hook.’
- ‘His thumb placed pressure on a specific button on the side of the object, launching a grappling hook into the air.’
- ‘They were bereft of actual grappling hooks and climbing tools.’
- ‘All he had to do now was to ‘borrow’ some rope and a grappling hook, and he would enter the palace.’
- ‘Breaking off, Sean maneuvered his ship next to the freighter, and fired grappling hooks, pulling the freighter in to board.’
- ‘They threw a grappling hook over to Nikki's roof.’
- ‘Once there, they will assault the granite island with inflatables and grappling irons.’
- ‘The man in front was standing, brandishing a grappling hook over his head, preparing to hook to the stone wall.’
grappling hook/ˈɡrapliNG ˌho͝ok/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.