One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The study of handwriting, for example as used to infer a person's character.
- ‘At least five sets of exercises are given to students after analysing their hand writing based on the techniques of graphology.’
- ‘If there is any credibility to graphology, then the characteristics of each person would influence the nuances of their handwriting individually, even if everyone learned the same system of writing.’
- ‘In France, application letters are hand-written since graphology is used in the selection process.’
- ‘It's obvious that the study of graphology is important, whether it be in unveiling clues about personality, diagnosing disease or determining brain function.’
- ‘You may want to practice your penmanship because you never know who's into graphology and having your handwriting analysed.’
- ‘He also told me that graphology is ‘a brand of psychology.’’
- ‘Both astrology and graphology, as well as biorhythms, have been widely used in Europe, in India, and in Asia for determining if applicants are suitable for certain positions.’
- ‘Another technique said to provide insight about humans is graphology, the analysis of character through handwriting, which was studied in ancient times and given a psychic significance.’
- ‘A mechanical engineer by profession he started studying graphology and later focused on signatures.’
- ‘I am trying to figure out the difference between graphology and graphoanalysis.’
- ‘Age is totally uninformative and shouldn't be used as a selection criterion; and so is graphology, the analysis of handwriting.’
- ‘Christina says graphology can give people a better understanding of themselves and insight into the behaviour of others.’
- ‘A couple of weeks ago I received criticism from certain quarters for saying that graphology can be interesting and revealing.’
- ‘Since there is no useful theory as to how graphology might work, it is not surprising that there is no empirical evidence that any graphological characteristics significantly correlate with any interesting personality trait.’
- ‘Though many people doubt its accuracy, handwriting analysis, or graphology, is used by employment agencies, criminal detection and sometimes in the early detection of mental or physical illness.’
- ‘Have you dealt with the ‘science’ of graphology - the determination of a person's character by analysing their handwriting?’
- ‘Susan has identified a graphology expert who has cast some doubt about the post-mortem report and the signature at the end of it.’
- ‘Handwriting samples were paired with fabricated personality profiles and presented to undergraduates who knew nothing about graphology.’
- ‘The theory of personology, like graphology, seems to be based on sympathetic magic and intuition.’
- ‘His hobbies included graphology, the science of studying handwriting to determine an individual's character.’
The study of written and printed symbols and of writing systems.
- ‘In linguistics, however, the name for the study of the writing system of a language and for the system itself is more commonly graphology, a level of language parallel to phonology.’
- ‘Yet it remains clear that for the objectives sketched in the article, even much more extensive and sophisticated models of signifiers than those elaborated in structural phonology (intonation, graphology and graphetics, prosody, etc.) would still fail to provide any meaningful semantic coherence and unity.’
- ‘These orders of abstraction are organised into three levels or strata - semantics, lexicogrammar and phonology (or graphology).’
- ‘In their explanations of graphology, linguists often find it useful to draw parallels between this system and the system of spoken language.’
- ‘To a linguist, "sounds like" obviously suggests phonology, "looks like" suggests graphology, and "means the same" suggests semantics.’
Mid 19th century: from Greek graphē ‘writing’ + -logy.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.