Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A fine-grained, granular metamorphic rock in which the main component minerals are typically feldspars and quartz.
- ‘This indicates that the sapphirine granulite could be a different variety of pelitic granulites.’
- ‘This granulite consists of garnet, biotite, muscovite, quartz, plagioclase and cordierite.’
- ‘The granulite to eclogite transformation may not occur if water is absent; for example, if ocean crust has been dehydrated as happens when a slab subducts.’
- ‘These rocks display clear prograde metamorphism that peaks in granulite facies.’
- ‘Two types of terrain are especially characteristic of Archaean geology: greenstone - granite terrains and granulite - gneiss terrains.’
Mid 19th century: from granule + -ite.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.