Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1The quality or condition of being granular.
- ‘Any further addition will lead to print granularity.’
- ‘Others had a brown, thicker, and coarser membrane, with irregular granularity on the outside.’
- ‘Crystalline texture refers to granularity and was measured using categories modified from Rick.’
- ‘The cell population with high green fluorescence was shown to belong to the population selected on the basis of size and granularity (data not shown).’
- ‘The additional insight obtained here is the indication of the effective DNA granularity and thickness.’
- ‘From the numerical results, we extracted a simple functional form for the force versus elongation curve as a function of effective thickness, chain granularity, and contour length.’
- ‘The problem comes when these aggregators don't have enough granularity.’
- ‘We need much more granularity - we need to look at finer shades of grey.’
- ‘Likewise, granular cell tumors may arise in relation to the pituitary gland/stalk; however, these tumors owe their cytoplasmic granularity to numerous autophagic vacuoles, not mitochondria.’
- ‘A faint basophilic granularity was present in the wall of several of the larger vessels; this granularity was highlighted by periodic acid-Schiff stain.’
- ‘The granularity of sand and water content have great effect in the increase of compressive stresses.’
- ‘Eosinophilic precursors are less common in this type, and only an occasional cell will demonstrate cytoplasmic granularity.’
- ‘The chip also provides MPEG 2 encoding with digital video noise reduction, eliminating granularity within the picture and thus improving the quality of the compressed video.’
- ‘The lining of the cyst was smooth with focal granularity.’
- ‘It is shown that this approach allows extracting meaningful quantitative estimates of the effective thickness and modular granularity of the polymers.’
2technical The scale or level of detail present in a set of data or other phenomenon.‘the granularity of this war is not the sand that covers most of the country, but these details that have proved so elusive’
- ‘At the same time, there is a need to process content at a deeper level of granularity than is currently associated with conventional indexing and text analysis.’
- ‘Eventually you'll achieve a level of granularity you simply don't need.’
- ‘We can break down to any level of granularity that the physical network allows.’
- ‘Positive deviance says that if you want to create change, you must scale it down to the lowest level of granularity and look for people within the social system who are already manifesting the desired future state.’
- ‘Focus analytical efforts at higher echelons in direct support of designated tactical forces at the supported units' level of granularity.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.