(of a plant) producing grain or a grainlike seed.
- ‘Graniferous tracheary elements are found in the haustoria of several unrelated members of the clade.’
- ‘Graniferous tracheary elements, which may be either tracheids or vessel members, have been observed most often in the haustoria of root-parasitic angiosperms.’
- ‘Graniferous tracheary elements are restricted to the haustorium and occur most frequently in the plate xylem.’
- ‘We also have observed graniferous tracheary elements in Arceuthobium.’
- ‘The enigmatic graniferous tracheary inclusions which characterize so many terrestrial parasite haustoria are generally absent in aerial mistletoes.’
Mid 17th century: from Latin granum grain + -ferous.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.