One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘I like many things about this book, but not the picture of Mr Foot, looking very old, haggard and grandfatherly, on the dust jacket.’
- ‘You just have to treat other people in a grandmotherly or grandfatherly fashion.’
- ‘And with his big glasses, it was a grandfatherly image that would beckon any young ‘un to come closer and enjoy.’
- ‘Despite the grandfatherly attire, there is no doubt that I am in the presence of a master.’
- ‘He has such a genial, grandfatherly manner that criminals seem genuinely relieved to be able to confess to him.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.