One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘You just have to treat other people in a grandmotherly or grandfatherly fashion.’
- ‘He has such a genial, grandfatherly manner that criminals seem genuinely relieved to be able to confess to him.’
- ‘Despite the grandfatherly attire, there is no doubt that I am in the presence of a master.’
- ‘And with his big glasses, it was a grandfatherly image that would beckon any young ‘un to come closer and enjoy.’
- ‘I like many things about this book, but not the picture of Mr Foot, looking very old, haggard and grandfatherly, on the dust jacket.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.