One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A large, full-toned piano which has the body, strings, and soundboard arranged horizontally and in line with the keys and is supported by three legs.
- ‘A baby grand piano, where Hicks entertains friends with blues and jazz tunes, stands in one corner.’
- ‘A baby grand piano stood in one room, where Nettie composed music while Roy wrote the words.’
- ‘With five children studying piano, the need for more pianos also grew over time, and five grand pianos became a part of the Brown home.’
- ‘My mother received a baby grand piano as a wedding gift from her parents.’
- ‘Soon, everyone was chatting about this or that and Cara heard the baby grand piano playing in the background.’
- ‘He sat at a large grand piano with a computer monitor facing him from the treble side of the keyboard.’
- ‘She practices on a grand piano, brought in the music classroom because of the festival.’
- ‘He runs his fingers over the top of the grand piano that sits in the middle of the room, with a book of Scottish songs propped up on the music rack.’
- ‘His parents, amazed at their son's uncanny musical ability bought him a grand piano at age three.’
- ‘More than 350 students from 3 major islands played duet pieces in ensembles, on 10 grand pianos.’
- ‘At one stage the pianist was plucking the strings of a grand piano to emulate a sitar.’
- ‘In her spare time, the lawyer likes to do nothing better than knock out a few ditties from the Great American Songbook on her baby grand piano.’
- ‘Apart from mathematics his great loves were walking and music, and his lodgings had always to accommodate a grand piano.’
- ‘Visitors can also see furniture and musical instruments he owned, including a stunning grand piano.’
- ‘Stanley had a great love of music and played a baby grand piano.’
- ‘Inside his immaculately kept living room are four violins for his children and a grand piano which his wife plays.’
- ‘They were to be accompanied by two grand pianos played by musicians, as well as three xylophones, four bass drums, a gong, three aeroplane propellers, seven electric bells and a siren.’
- ‘I learnt how to play the piano on a beautiful grand piano in their drawing room.’
- ‘Yeah, and there's a lovely musical theme through the whole thing, with grand pianos and guitars and music, it's gorgeous.’
- ‘James walked into the sitting room where a baby grand piano was nestled in the corner.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.