One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A large, full-toned piano which has the body, strings, and soundboard arranged horizontally and in line with the keys and is supported by three legs.
- ‘More than 350 students from 3 major islands played duet pieces in ensembles, on 10 grand pianos.’
- ‘His parents, amazed at their son's uncanny musical ability bought him a grand piano at age three.’
- ‘He sat at a large grand piano with a computer monitor facing him from the treble side of the keyboard.’
- ‘Apart from mathematics his great loves were walking and music, and his lodgings had always to accommodate a grand piano.’
- ‘James walked into the sitting room where a baby grand piano was nestled in the corner.’
- ‘Yeah, and there's a lovely musical theme through the whole thing, with grand pianos and guitars and music, it's gorgeous.’
- ‘Visitors can also see furniture and musical instruments he owned, including a stunning grand piano.’
- ‘With five children studying piano, the need for more pianos also grew over time, and five grand pianos became a part of the Brown home.’
- ‘My mother received a baby grand piano as a wedding gift from her parents.’
- ‘In her spare time, the lawyer likes to do nothing better than knock out a few ditties from the Great American Songbook on her baby grand piano.’
- ‘He runs his fingers over the top of the grand piano that sits in the middle of the room, with a book of Scottish songs propped up on the music rack.’
- ‘At one stage the pianist was plucking the strings of a grand piano to emulate a sitar.’
- ‘I learnt how to play the piano on a beautiful grand piano in their drawing room.’
- ‘Stanley had a great love of music and played a baby grand piano.’
- ‘Soon, everyone was chatting about this or that and Cara heard the baby grand piano playing in the background.’
- ‘She practices on a grand piano, brought in the music classroom because of the festival.’
- ‘They were to be accompanied by two grand pianos played by musicians, as well as three xylophones, four bass drums, a gong, three aeroplane propellers, seven electric bells and a siren.’
- ‘A baby grand piano stood in one room, where Nettie composed music while Roy wrote the words.’
- ‘Inside his immaculately kept living room are four violins for his children and a grand piano which his wife plays.’
- ‘A baby grand piano, where Hicks entertains friends with blues and jazz tunes, stands in one corner.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.