The stacks of thylakoids embedded in the stroma of a chloroplast.→ granum
- ‘The thylakoid system was normally developed with grana composed of, on average, three to four stacked thylakoids.’
- ‘The VPC chloroplasts possessed well-developed thylakoids with grana.’
- ‘The chloroplasts with large grana stacks were seen in 50% of cases but none of the parameters significantly explained the occurrence.’
- ‘Sometimes grana lost their stacked organization and appeared to slide partially apart at the partitions.’
- ‘Chloroplast envelopes, stacked grana and unstacked stroma thylakoids were well-defined.’
Late 19th century: plural of Latin granum grain.