Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The stacks of thylakoids embedded in the stroma of a chloroplast.
- ‘Chloroplast envelopes, stacked grana and unstacked stroma thylakoids were well-defined.’
- ‘The VPC chloroplasts possessed well-developed thylakoids with grana.’
- ‘The thylakoid system was normally developed with grana composed of, on average, three to four stacked thylakoids.’
- ‘The chloroplasts with large grana stacks were seen in 50% of cases but none of the parameters significantly explained the occurrence.’
- ‘Sometimes grana lost their stacked organization and appeared to slide partially apart at the partitions.’
Late 19th century: plural of Latin granum grain.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.